One system of gardening which really helps to impact the environment for good is community gardening. This is a practice whereby a piece of land is collectively cultivated. In many parts of the world, community gardening is very popular. In Australia many families and neighborhoods engage in community gardening. The following are quick facts about community gardening you should know.
Why most people and countries engage in community gardening
There are many reasons for which the practice of community gardening has become necessary in many parts of the world. These include:
- Production of fresh foods to be used by families and members of the communities.
- To help promote unity and cooperation among members of the community.
- To help in protecting and preserving the natural environment against the effects of environmental degradation.
- To help alleviate the impact of global warming or climate change at the community level.
- To help in creating awareness about environmental sustainability like conserving rainwater.
- To help in the production of certain crops that might have been scarce.
- To foster the development of the community. Many events and seminars are often introduced so the community can learn and move forward.
- To improve the physical health and well being of the community members who eat the locally produced foods which are from natural sources. Hence, community gardening promotes better nutrition.
- To promote green environment by helping to restore oxygen to the air and reducing pollution.
- The immediate environment of which the community garden is grown is beautified through the communal efforts.
- Community gardening is vital for physical exercises as it most often is labor- intensive. By this way participants exercise indirectly and their physical health is promoted
If you decide to start up a community garden where you live, partition to your local council and investigate registering a non-profit organisation. Also seek out sponsorship with local businesses as this can result in you receiving much of your equipment and supplies like gardening tools and rainwater tanks for free.
Conclusively, these are some of the most stunning details you should know about the importance of community gardening. You can get more quick facts about this type gardening and how it impacts on the environment from any of the community garden associations in your area.